Still haven’t committed to a Healthy New Year’s Resolution for 2018? It’s never too late to start a new health routine, but the first week of the new year is always inspiring. If you already are inundated with resolutions, consider trying one of the following out. Don’t get discouraged if you don’t stick to the plan; do the best you can. Even a little of one of the following ideas will make you healthier.
1)Set a timer to take a deep breath every hour. This not only opens the lungs and improves posture but is great deep breathing training for both fitness and relaxation.
2) Stretch for 5 minutes a day while focusing on a beautiful scene (even a photo) works to relax your body and your mind
3) Take the stairs for at least 1 flight each time you are faced with an elevator/escalator to increase your cardiac fitness and calorie burn
4) Try a new piece of equipment at the gym or a new home exercise. Start with just 10 minutes to relieve workout routine boredom and challenge new muscles.
5)Add an extra work out a week: this can include a new fun class, an extra walk, a new sport (golf, tennis, bowling!)
6) Each time you drink soda or alcohol, swap half to seltzer. Add it to white wine or liquors to cut down on alcohol intake. Both the sugar in regular soda and the chemicals in diet drinks should be limited to 1 drink or less a day!
7) Walk for 10 minutes after one meal daily. You will likely eat less as you will limit eating time to include walking. Your metabolism after eating will increase also!
8) Go to bed 20 minutes earlier. Sleep de stresses, allows clearer thinking, and lets your body and brain have the rest it needs.
9) Swap tea for 1 coffee in the AM and 1 boozy drink in the PM Tea can rev or calm but is filled with cancer preventing antioxidants
10) Feel Grateful for a few minutes at the beginning or end of every day. Studies show being grateful is directly related to happiness and reduced illness.
Give your favorite a try for a week or 2. Don’t find yourself doing it regularly? Try another. Repeat as necessary. Best wishes for a happy, healthy, and more beautiful 2018!!!